Nothing says Springtime to me like fresh strawberries! If you are looking for a healthy and incredibly delicious recipe for your sweet tooth, this is it! Try serving it for your Easter Sunday dessert and watch the faces of your family as they enjoy! Meanwhile, you can enjoy the fact that they are eating something good for them!
For this recipe and more like it check out http://pinchofyum.com/paleo-strawberry-rhubarb-crisp.
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp – and it’s paleo.
For the filling
- 2 cups rhubarb, diced
- 2 cups strawberries, diced
- zest from one orange (or lemon)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 5 Tablespoons honey
- a pinch of salt
- 1½ Tablespoons arrowroot powder*
For the crumbles
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ¾ cups almond flour
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup honey
- 4 Tablespoons coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Put the strawberries and rhubarb in a large mixing bowl with the orange zest, lemon juice, honey, salt, and arrowroot powder and mix well.
- Mix the pecans, flours, cinnamon, salt and honey together in a medium mixing bowl. Cut in the coconut oil with your hands or a pastry cutter until the mixture begins to form crumbs.
- Grease an oven proof casserole or skillet and spoon in the fruit filling. Crumble the topping evenly over the top. Bake for 25 minutes, checking occasionally. When the topping is browned and the fruit is bubbling, remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
*Arrowroot powder acts like cornstarch. I found some at my regular grocery store (good ol’ Cub Foods) in the spice section.