Are you heading out of town for Spring Break and need some healthy food ideas for the road? Try this recipe for a home made Paleo Treat – a home-made granola bar without any grains. It’s kind of like an energy bar, kind of like a candy bar. It’s very yummy, very filling and incredibly easy to make. To top it all off, it’s easy to grab one out of the fridge and take it with you – what more could you ask?
So here is the recipe:
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 pound pitted medjool dates
- 1/2 cup almond butter (make sure it’s the unsweetened kind)
In a food processor, blend pitted dates until they form a mushy substance. Add cashews and blend until still chunky, but smaller. Make sure pits are removed since they will destroy your food processor! Add almond butter and whirl again until it makes a doughy ball. Dump it out onto a cookie sheet lined with wax or parchment paper. Use a spatula or spoon to pat down mixture. If you want, you can drizzle with melted 80% dark chocolate. Put cookie sheet into fridge over night. Then cut into squares and enjoy – or put into baggies for later or for travel! They are great for throwing into your
I buy my ingredients at Costco or the grocery store or Trader Joe’s. You can experiment with the treats, substitute nuts, add fruits or whatever you want to create one of your own. Here are some that we have come up with:
- Texan toasted pecan and cayenne Treats (sub toasted pecans for cashews and add 1 tsp cayenne)
- Vanilla, orange zest Treats (just add 1 tsp vanilla and zest of 2 oranges)
- Pistachio banana Treats (sub pistachios for cashews and add 1 slightly brown banana)
- Macadamia nut, dried mango and chocolate chip Treats (add dried mango and chocolate chips to mixture)
- Cashew and fig Treats (add figs to mixture)
- Espresso bean and chocolate chip Treats (add espresso beans to processor first, then dates, cashews and chocolate chips last)
Use your imagination and see what Paleo Treats you can create and let me know what are your favorites!